The History of the Forbidden City begins in the 15th century when it was built as the palace of the Ming emperors ofChina. It is located in the centre ofBeijing,China and was the Chinese imperial palace from the mid-Ming Dynasty to the end of the Qing Dynasty in 1912. It has been a museum since 1925. It was built from 1406 to 1420. In 1987 it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
In the 15 years it was build 100000 skilled artisans and up to 1 million workers were employed. Zhu Di, called the Yongle Emperor what means Perpetual Happiness, moved in at completion in 1420 and made Beijing the official capital of the kingdom. However, only 9 months after the completion three main halls including the throne room burnt down and they were only rebuilt after 23 years.